Tuesday 20 May 2014

Homeless and home-baked!


Homeless Man asleep on Oaks Park Road (just behind High Road)

Ilford High Road and Oaklands Park Road have become the congregation point for homeless
people in the borough over the last few years.  Benches placed outside Fitness first (opposite Ilford Police station) have now become the regular haunt of our local vagrant community and are commonly used as beds or communal drinking venues.  Despite attempts by our  local police and charitable groups, many victims of  homelessness simply refuse to obtain the support they need to escape the deprivation and harsh conditions they face.  

Whatever the reasons for the continued homelessness faced by these societal victims, the images above show how badly they are being affected by the weather.  The Image below from the High Road shows a homeless individual that collapsed due to the heat.  When he eventually came round, I asked him why he did not remove his jacket and jumper, despite the exhaustive heat.  He said;

"If I take my jacket off, it will not be here when I wake.  What will I do then, during the cold night?"

When I asked him who would take his garments form him.  He advised me further, he said;

"My clothes could be taken by other homeless people, the council or the Police. No-one cares about me."  

I asked him if he knew of the Welcome Centre and he was aware of it.  However, his case and many others will be exacerbated in future weeks, as the heat will no doubt take it's toll on our local vagrant community.  Better engagement and counselling is an essential need for Redbridge.  Taking care of our homeless community will boost local morale, it will prevent deaths and should be made a stronger priority.  Somehow, we must learn how to capture the confidence of these homeless people, so we can turn their lives around.


A homeless man collapses in heat on High Road Ilford.


Police respond to calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment